The Right of the People of the St. Ives Compact for Self Determination

67 replies to this topic

Poll: The Right of the People of the St. Ives Compact for Self Determination (133 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the St. Ives Compact be independent in the Game?

1. Yes (101 votes [75.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.94%

2. No (32 votes [24.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.06%

Do they deserve their own forum?

1. Yes (88 votes [66.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.17%

2. No (45 votes [33.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

(runs around chanting)

3063!!! 3063!!!! 3063!!!!

Wait, is this the re-integration rally?

#42 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostAdamBaines, on 23 January 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

As far as why the FRR is included has everything to do with the Clans as their invasion corridor is right though the heart of the FRR. As well as the fact that the FRR and the Nova Cats become one eventually. Its existence is very important to how the game will be played once the clans are introduced. You really cant say that about the SIC. The FRR was also part of the reborn Star League, and SIC was not. You have some internal struggles which, as you pointed out would but good for game play, but only for a small amount of time. Eventually they get swallowed up by the Cappies again.

Universe wise, the FRR has left a much larger footprint then the SIC.

Actually, the FRR eventually merges with the Ghost Bears, and becomes the Rasalhague Dominion

As for the St. Ive's Compact becoming it's own faction in-game? Eh, While it would be interesting from a RP perspective, I'm not a huge fan of it. Sure, it' would be great, but what would the actual player base be? 0.5 to 1 % of the gaming population? If that? I don't really think it's worth it in the long run. You can have your own forums though, that's fine by me.

#43 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostHayden, on 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Bump for justice.

For justice!

#44 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hey don't forget the Outworld Alliance. You might think we're a bunch of country bumpkins and hippies, but we are relevant, dammit! Don't forget we were the only periphery state that didn't *technically* surrender during the Reunification War! Also, the Ravens give us sweet toys :o

#45 SeDevri

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

14 people are members of the Cappies. And the are acting pretty Cappy by voting no on this

#46 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostSeDevri, on 14 April 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

14 people are members of the Cappies. And the are acting pretty Cappy by voting no on this

When did people like nubnub and Dihm get their citizenship? :)

#47 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'd really like to see some more people's opinions in here that haven't already had their say.

#48 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 16 April 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

I'd really like to see some more people's opinions in here that haven't already had their say.

This is the year 3049. We are all about oppression people! If you can't win your point of view with a battlemech, then your view is irrelevant!! I should start an anti-St. Ives campaign to counter this.

Just sowing the seeds of chaos in the Inner Sphere

In all seriousness there are actual grounds for an argument here on St. Ives independence. It would be fun to see them have to fight for it instead when the Beta finally launches. Wouldn't that make for an interesting campaign for the first couple months of the game? (Yes I know its out of the timeline...still interesting idea)

#49 FaustianQ

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

100% all for the inclusion of the St.Ives Compact, Taurian Concordat, Magistracy of Canopus, Outworlds Alliance, and Marian Hegemony as "minor" factions of some sort. The Inner Sphere didn't exactly exist in a vacuum and it'd be odd to have say the FWL or FS not be concerned by thier borders or deprive the CC of potential allies.

#50 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

I VOTE YES FOR ST. IVES! FREE CHOICE FTW! ;)

#51 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

If this would be a player-run planetary league I'd say "yes". Not only to the Compact, but also to those periphery states.

But as MWO is no planetary league, I see no reason to create more borders just because 10 people want to play as a certain minor power.

And all those who want to play as periphery tend to forget that its lowtech country and it takes 8 years before it even starts to change (at an extremely slow pace).

#52 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

But who is to say it will just be ten people? I'd be willing to bet you can find more than ten people on mwo right now that would join the SIC. In addition, based on the reasons many people gave for joining the CC, people love underdogs. What better underdog than a small nation state struggling for independence?

Remember - mwo is hopefully going to bring in tons of people completely new to the franchise. Who knows who they will join with?

Edited by Listless Nomad, 19 April 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#53 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Of course, it is quite possible that enough players would sign up for the SIC to have a stable lineup on all fronts 24 hours a day. But adding the SIC would mean there will be two more combat theatres - one on the Liao-side of the border, one on the FedSuns-side. Now lets say one of them (or both) would simply overrun the SIC and conquers every planet (and there aren't that much). What then? Sure, the devs could declare St. Ives a core world and make it unattackable (so the SIC playerbase still had a home), but I guess that would infuriate a lot of people on the attacking side.

Yes, I know, this is a worst case scenario, but I think a developer should always take such scenarios into consideration (and I guess they allready did).

#54 Thomas de Ville

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGermany / Terra

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostThe_Birdeater, on 13 April 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Same here!

And here!!

#55 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Of course, it is quite possible that enough players would sign up for the SIC to have a stable lineup on all fronts 24 hours a day. But adding the SIC would mean there will be two more combat theatres - one on the Liao-side of the border, one on the FedSuns-side. Now lets say one of them (or both) would simply overrun the SIC and conquers every planet (and there aren't that much). What then? Sure, the devs could declare St. Ives a core world and make it unattackable (so the SIC playerbase still had a home), but I guess that would infuriate a lot of people on the attacking side.

Yes, I know, this is a worst case scenario, but I think a developer should always take such scenarios into consideration (and I guess they allready did).

That didnt stop the devs from making the FRR playable and we KNOW how badly they get run over. I doubt a hypothetical situation is enough of a reason when a known event has the same result elsewhere.

#56 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 April 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

That didnt stop the devs from making the FRR playable and we KNOW how badly they get run over. I doubt a hypothetical situation is enough of a reason when a known event has the same result elsewhere.

Because the FRR survives. You can bet that Tukayyid will be a core world from the beginning (so they would have at least one world in the worst case) - and everyone can understand why.

#57 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 20 April 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Because the FRR survives. You can bet that Tukayyid will be a core world from the beginning (so they would have at least one world in the worst case) - and everyone can understand why.

And so does the SIC within a reasonable timeline. If the FRR gets at least one planet in a worst case scenario - why can't the SIC

#58 Atham MacKinaw

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts
  • LocationColorado, U.S.A.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

First off, personal opinion: I haven't declared loyalty to a faction yet because the two I'd prefer, the Taurian Concordat and St. Ive's Compact, aren't enabled. And if St. Ives is brought in, I'd declare for them right away.

Too bad for me that they aren't, but I can certainly understand why. 5 factions, PLUS mercs and lone wolves should give the player population enough room. And having too few in a faction is a far more dreaded possibility. Honestly, would we prefer crowded, competitive, highly active factions, or some that go virtually silent for hours on end ("Hello, anyone want to fill out my lance? *sound of crickets*)?

However, I do see the St. Ives Compact as being one of the main merc playgrounds. And I can see assault missions for Capellans on their own worlds. And defense contracts for mercs against them. One of the few areas where you can take over a planet from the ruling faction by defending it instead of through headlong assault.

#59 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 April 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

And so does the SIC within a reasonable timeline. If the FRR gets at least one planet in a worst case scenario - why can't the SIC

Because there are no Clans to invade St.Ives in two years. :D

#60 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Nor are there to invade the confederation or house Marik...

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users